Content marketing is the marketing process of creating and distributing relevant and valuable content, in order to attract, acquire, and engage with a clearly defined target audience – with the objective of driving profitable customer action.
Content marketing can take many forms – from a well crafted blog or news article, right through to fully interactive digital content, video or even eLearning.
Its objective is always driving profitable customer action.
“…the strawberries taste like strawberries, and the snozzberries taste like snozzberries…”
The content basics
Over the course of the next 12 months, think about about creating a suite of content to share with:
- Current clients – to increase engagement and increase sales volume.
- Cold targets and prospects – to raise awareness of your skills and capabilities to generate qualified leads and sales.
Content marketing recipe
All of your content should:
Point back to your website, or be hosted directly on it.
Deliver a clearly defined call to action, which makes the viewer want to talk to you.
Deliver value. i.e. support the user with their marketing and/or business objectives.
Some content should only be viewable after a ‘light’ touch engagement – ‘sign-up to our newsletter’ or ‘like us on Facebook’ etc.
Have your cake and eat it
Achievable goals, measurable outcomes:
- Brand exposure
- Product and service exposure
- Audience education
- Customer engagement
- Drive website traffic
- Lead generation and sales which has a measurable ROI.
Churn, chop, pond, pop. Time to make the fudge…
In a world of pure imagination
Our top 20 content marketing ideas
1) A Top 10/20 post on a relevant topic
2) A research paper or industry survey
3) Respond to a controversial story on social media
4) Predict trends in your industry
5) Interview leaders in your business
6) Write about trending topics
7) Create a ‘how to’ guide
8) Write a work diary for increased insight
9) Create an engaging infographic
10) Write a ‘list of’ post
11) Create a life-hack
12) Publish motivational quotes and memes
13) Write a behind-the-scenes post
14) Experiment/try something new and write about your experience
15) Write a ‘day-in-the-life’ blog post
16) Create a beginner’s guide
17) Write a comparison or revisit post
18) Review a useful product or service (which isn’t yours, but is useful)
19) Create an explainer video
20) Produce a piece of eLearning